This strawberry-banana smoothie is a quick and healthy snack, which will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
I love smoothies, how about you? Now that we’re well into spring and summer is in clear sight, they’re one of my favorite things to make! Not only are they quick and easy to throw together, but they also help get in a serving or two of fruit and dairy. My favorite time to make them is in the afternoon or evening when I’m craving something sweet and I’m tempted to make a trip to our local ice cream shop. Not that anything can replace ice cream, I mean come on, but this helps keep my sweet tooth at bay without going completely off the deep end with my diet.
Smoothies are a cinch to make too! You just throw everything into the blender and let it work its magic! This is a great smoothie too if you don’t have one of those fancy high speed blenders, like me. I’m always so disappointed when I see a great smoothie recipe, only to discover it includes an ingredient, like a full apple, which my old-school blender just can’t handle. This one uses everyday, easily blendable ingredients: yogurt, milk, strawberries and banana. Any blender can handle those!
Before you get started, there are just a few tips I’d like to share:
- Bananas – I like to use frozen bananas because it creates a really creamy consistency. When I have some that are about to go bad, I simply peel and chop them into 1-2 inch pieces and freeze them in a zip lock bag. Then when I want a smoothie I can just pull out how much I need.
- Strawberries – I also use frozen strawberries. They make the smoothie thicker without adding ice, which could water it down. You can use fresh strawberries too, although you might want to use a little less milk to keep a thicker consistency.
- Blending – I add the ingredients to the blender as I have them listed in the recipe, below. I find adding the yogurt and milk first, before the frozen fruit helps everything mix easier. As I mentioned above, I don’t have a high-speed blender, so my little baby can only handle so much!
I hope you give this smoothie a try next time you’re in the mood for something sweet! It’s a quick and easy treat you can feel good about indulging in!
- 1 6 oz. container light vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup milk (I used unsweetened Almond milk)
- 1 banana, chopped and frozen
- ½ cup strawberries, frozen
- Add the ingredients in the order listed to your blender.
- Blend on high until smoothie reaches your desired consistency. If you don't have a high powered blender, you may need to stop a time or two to stir together the ingredients. Add more milk if you like a thinner smoothie, as this version is pretty thick.
- Serve and enjoy!