This simple Starburst Jello Fluff was the surprise hit at our last summer cookout. With only four ingredients and minimal work, this easy peasy recipe will surely become a new summertime favorite!
I marked this recipe as a “must-try” last year, but sadly never got around to making it. I hate when that happens! There are just too many recipes I want to make and not enough meals in a day to make them all! Do you ever feel that way?
This year I finally made it! I wanted to change things up from the original recipe a little bit because I’m not a huge lime Jell-O fan. There’s just something about it I can’t get my tastebuds to come around to. Strawberry, however? Yes, please! Total memory of childhood, right?
This recipe’s made similar to regular Jell-O, as you add a little bit of heated liquid to the Jello-O mix and then add cooled liquid before chilling for a few hours. However, instead of using water, it uses lemon-lime soda and you also mix in some cream cheese and cool whip. The end result is creamier and fluffier than regular Jell-O with a texture similar to those new whipped yogurts. Oh and the flavor – total Summer! My first thought was a pink Starburst and many others agreed! Don’t you love when you play around with a recipe and it comes out with something you know you’ll be making for years to come? Maybe I’m just a food nerd like that 🙂
Oh, and one final note on chilling the mixture. If you simply pour the jello mixture into a container (large or small) and let it sit for the entire 4 hours, it tends to separate into layers, as shown in my photos. The top layer is mostly fluff and the bottom two, more gelatin-like. If you prepare it in one large container, you can stir at the 1-2 hour mark and create a more consistent jello-fluff texture throughout. I loved it either way, but just wanted to point this out to everyone!
If you’re looking for a fun new recipe for your next cookout that kids and adults alike will enjoy, definitely give this one a try!
- 1 (.3 oz box) sugar free strawberry Jello
- 2 cups lemon-lime soda, divided (I used Sprite)
- 4 oz ⅓ less fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 oz. lite cool whip, thawed
- Heat 1 cup of soda in a microwave safe dish for about 2 minutes or until very warm.
- Once heated, add the soda along with the jello mix to a blender and process for a few seconds, until jello mixture has dissolved. **Note: You may want to remove the small top in the middle of the blender lid and place a towel (that you don't mind getting red jello on) over the opening when you first blend it as warm liquids tend to greatly expand when blended.
- Add in the cream cheese and blend until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in the remaining 1 cup of soda (chilled) and then fold in the cool whip.
- Pour into a tupperware container and chill for at least 3-4 hours, until firm. Alternatively, you can also pour it into small individual serving containers, like my pictures. *See notes, below.
- Serve, topped with additional cool whip if desired.
*Recipe adapted from Taste of Home (June/July 2014)