With Summer almost here, forget using the oven and make this smashed chickpea salad! It’s filled with good-for-you veggies and has quickly become my warm weather lunchtime favorite!
Summer is almost here, cue my happy dance! My love of Summer probably comes from childhood when it meant no school, time at the pool, and staying up late eating popsicles on the porch and catching lightening bugs. Do you remember those days? Ahh… to be a kid again, right?
Now that I’m an adult I enjoy Summer for completely different reasons, but still like it just as much. No cook meals are something I love about this season as an adult and this smashed chickpea salad on whole wheat is one of my new favorites!
I’m always looking for light and healthy, yet filling ideas for lunch during the week. Emily cannot be kept waiting long once lunchtime strolls around, so I need something that can be made quickly and be able to be eaten even quicker! If it can keep me full for a few hours afterwards while chasing around a tireless toddler, even better! This sandwich hits all of these points, which makes it an all around winner in my book. I can even make the filling ahead of time, say the night before once she goes to bed and quickly then throw it on some bread and devour once lunch time comes!
You may be a little skeptical about using chickpeas in this salad, but it just works, you’ll have to trust me on this one! The combination of ingredients tastes similar to a chicken salad, just sans chicken 🙂 It’s perfect for meatless Monday! It’s easy to make too. After you chop up your veggies and smash the chickpeas (total stress reliever, right?) you just throw them all together, along with an awesome lemony – Dijonaise dressing and you’re good to go!
If you need a light and healthy lunch that keeps the oven and stove at bay during these warmer months, give this sandwich a try! It’s quick to make and keeps me full, not to mention full of fresh flavors!
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- ¼ cup pickles, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs. mayonaise
- 1 Tbs. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. pickle juice
- 2 tsp. fresh dill (or ½ tsp. dried)
- bread, extra mayo and mustard, for serving
- In a medium sized bowl, smash the chickpeas with a potato masher or fork until finely flaked. It's okay if there are still a few larger pieces of chickpea remaining.
- Mix in the celery, carrot, pickles and green onion, then set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, pickle juice, dill and salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mayo mixture over the vegetables and stir to combine. Serve on bread, toasted or not, with additional mayonnaise or mustard, if desired.
*Recipe adapted from Whole Living Lauren