With minimal prep and work involved, I promise this Slow Cooker Enchilada Quinoa will be a new dinnertime favorite!
This Slow Cooker Enchilada Quinoa, is honestly one of my new favorite recipes! I’ve probably made it four times over the past two months to get it just right for you! You’re welcome 🙂
Luckily my husband’s become a fan of it as well and there have been no complaints for making it so often! I always think it really says something about a vegetarian recipe when a meat lover happily eats it and asks for seconds, don’t you? Slow Cooker Enchilada Quinoa for the win!
Not only do Kevin and I both really like this meal, but it’s also quick and easy to make, which this mama L-O-V-E-S! When I don’t have a lot of time and energy to make dinner, this goes on the menu. I may be a food blogger, but that doesn’t mean I always want to spend all day cooking – remember this post here?
Even though I make dinner almost nightly, it’s sometimes one of the last things I want to do. When I put this recipe on the menu, it makes me happy to know that I’m going to have a warm and delicious dinner with very little work or energy on my part. I usually make the sauce the night before after Emily goes to bed so when it comes time to put this in the slow cooker (around noon), there’s almost no work at all.
Before sharing this lovely recipe with you all, I want you to know the original recipe comes from one of my fellow bloggers at the Columbus Moms Blog, Cat, who has an insta-blog @simple.pearls. She’s a twin-girl mama and is always sharing fun recipes and food ideas for little ones! When I saw her version of this recipe, I knew I had to make it and with just a few tweaks based on personal preference, my version of her Slow Cooker Southwestern Quinoa is born!
I could probably have this recipe every week and be perfectly satisfied. It’s quick to make, healthy, full of flavor and a family favorite at dinner time – what else could there be to love about it?
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn, frozen ok
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- 1 can (14 oz) petite diced tomatoes, not drained
- ½ cup water
- 2 oz. cream cheese, diced into chunks
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Toppings: Cilantro, diced tomato, green onion, extra cheese, sour cream
- Combine quinoa, black beans, corn, diced green chilies, diced tomatoes, water and cream cheese together in a large slow cooker. Stir well. Cream Cheese will remain in lumps*
- In a small bowl, stir together the two cans of tomato sauce and 4 spices. Stir half of the sauce into the quinoa mixture.
- Cook quinoa on low for 5 hours. At the 4 hour mark, stir quinoa mixture so cream cheese is mixed throughout. Spread remaining tomato sauce on top and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Cook for another hour.
- Serve dish with optional toppings.
*Recipe adapted from my friend, Cat (@simple.pearls) on Instagram