These Pumpkin Streusel Muffins are the perfect morning treat to welcome the start of my favorite season, fall!
What is your favorite season? Mine happens to be fall and I’m sooo happy it’s finally here!
I love those crisp fall days where the leaves are starting to turn and it’s not quite jacket weather yet. If you give me a pumpkin spice latte on one of these days, I’ll be just about as happy and content as possible. Add in one of these pumpkin streusel muffins and it really wouldn’t get much better.
For me, fall and pumpkin go hand and hand, pumpkin bread to be exact. My great grandmother had a secret pumpkin bread recipe, which was passed down to my mom and my mom passed it down to my sister and I. While I’m always quick to give out any of my recipes, this one is a family recipe that only the three of us have, which makes it special. One day, I will hand it down to Emily, which make me smile 🙂
Every fall my mom would make loaves and loaves of it (and still does) to give to friends and family. If you received one of these loaves, it meant you were special to us. It hasn’t quite been a tradition for me to give loaves away on a yearly basis, but maybe this year will be the year I start!
Now, before you get too excited, this is not our super secret family pumpkin bread recipe. Sorry! It is however a very yummy, dense, cake-like pumpkin muffin, which will immediately make you think of fall. Oh and that oat streusel topping, just to die for. There’s no way these will last long in any household!
If you’re looking for a breakfast treat to welcome the start of fall, look no further because these muffins are a must-make recipe this season!
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup quick oats
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1½ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. maple extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners, set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the entire ½ cup butter (for topping and muffins combined) Takes about 1 minute, stopping after 30 seconds to stir. Set aside.
- Make the crumble topping by combining the remaining 4 topping ingredients. Stir in 2 Tbs. of the melted butter, set aside.
- Make the muffins. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flours, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients (eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin, buttermilk, 6 Tbs. melted butter and maple extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, fold until combined, without overstiring.
- Scoop batter (about ¼ cup each) into the lined muffin tins. Top with a heaping 1 tsp. of streusel topping. Bake for about 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack before serving,
*Recipe adapted from The Ultimate Muffin Book