This oatmeal is a fun take on the classic childhood favorite, peanut butter and jelly, that the whole family will enjoy!
It’s no secret I looove oatmeal! I have it almost every morning for breakfast and while my go-to flavor is classic banana bread oatmeal, I like to switch things up every now and again! This version, which is a take on the childhood favorite PB + Jelly sandwich, adds an element of fun and some additional protein from the peanut butter!
I don’t know how things go at your house in the morning, but ours can be hectic! Both the little one and I like to eat pronto after we get up, so I often don’t want to make anything too elaborate. The great thing about this recipe is that it takes about 7 minutes to make. As you can tell, I have my oatmeal game down to a science by now. Since Emily aways has a banana first, that gives me time to make this oatmeal. When I’m really on my meal-prep A game, I make a batch (or two) the night before. Simply add a splash or two of milk and reheat and you’re good to go!
This oatmeal on it’s own without the jelly topping doesn’t have a strong peanut butter taste. I wanted it to have the flavor of peanut butter without adding too many additional calories and grams of fat. However, once you add the jelly I think it comes pretty close to pb + j. Plus, you can always add more peanut butter if you want! I do want to note, I use regular, creamy peanut butter here. I’ve tried it with my usual natural, low sugar variety, but the oatmeal definitely needs a little more sugar if you go this route. By using regular peanut butter, I only needed to add 1 teaspoon of brown sugar.
I also wanted to mention the fact that I use two different types of oats here, old fashioned and quick. Once again, you can definitely just use all one type if that’s all you have. There’s just something I really like about the texture when I use both types. Yes, I can get sort of picky about my oatmeal. #oatmealsnob
So, if you’re looking for a fun way to change up your morning breakfast, why not give this oatmeal a try! It adds a little fun and whimsy to start your day and who doesn’t need a bit of that?
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup quick oats
- 1½ Tbs. creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. jelly (any flavor, I used strawberry)
- chopped peanuts, optional
- Heat water and milk in a medium sized sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Once you start to see little bubbles form around the sides of the pan, add the old fashioned oats and reduce heat to medium. Stir to combine and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the quick oats, peanut butter and brown sugar. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until oatmeal reaches desired consistency (*see note)
- Pour into two serving bowls, top each with a swirl of jelly, about 1 Tbs. each. Add chopped peanuts, if desired.