These peanut butter and chocolate chip granola bars are packed full of wholesome ingredients and are a great on-the-go snack your whole family will love.
Kevin’s often on the road for work and I like to find good on-the-go snacks for him to take. While he might prefer chips and cookies, which are easy to grab and go, I like to give him something a little more on the healthy side. You’re welcome honey!
My goal was to find something with the following requirements 1. Doesn’t need refrigeration 2. Keeps him full 3. Can be eaten without making a mess 4. Some-what healthy and most importantly, 5. Tastes good! These bars meet all five requirements, woo hoo! I’ve seen homemade granola bars around the web for a while now, but have always been little intimidated because they sometimes used ingredients like dates, wheat germ, flax seeds, etc. which I don’t have in my pantry and am not used to baking with.
Sorry, I know you’re all aware what chocolate chips are! That photo was just too yummy to not use 🙂 Anyway… I was always intimidated by using these ingredients until recently. I just decided I would give it a try and bought the ingredients and dove head first into this new food territory. That’s one of the great things about this blog. It forces me to try new things in the cooking and baking world! If you live near a grocery store that carries foods in bulk bins, so you can just purchase what you need, that works great for recipes like this. This way you don’t have to spend the money to buy a huge container of dates, ground flax seeds, etc. for one recipe. Although after making these bars, you may want huge containers of these ingredients so you can make them over and over again!
The recipe is pretty straight forward and although it uses the food processor and standing mixer (I know I know, two things to clean!), believe me when I say it was well worth it! When Kevin tried one, he actually said “I think this is the best thing you’ve ever made!” When I questioned how a no-bake granola bar was the “BEST thing I’ve ever made…” when I’ve been cooking and baking for him for 7 years (!!!) he said he thought it was actually something I could package and sell and tasted like one of the “top shelf” granola/protein bars you got at the store. Okay… I suppose I will take that compliment 🙂
Needless to say, these granola bars are my new favorite thing to make for him on his road trips and his new favorite snack to take. If Emily had more than 6 teeth, I think she’d probably think these are winners too! If you’re looking for some go-t0 treats for your family, I urge you to give these a try. You’ll be super hero for the day!
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup instant/quick oats
- 2 Tbs. ground flax seeds
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- pinch, salt
- 1¼ cups crisp rice cereal
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup agave nectar (or honey)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Line an 8x8 inch square pan with aluminum foil and lightly spray with cooking spray, set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add dates and process until finely chopped. Transfer dates to the bowl of a standing mixer with paddle attachment.
- Add the oats, flax, cinnamon and salt to the bowl and mix until combined. Then mix in the rice cereal, just until slightly combined. You don't want to crush all of the cereal with too much mixing.
- Microwave the peanut butter and agave nectar together in a small microwave safe bowl for about 30 seconds. Stir to combine and then add in the vanilla extract.
- Pour peanut butter mixture into the standing mixer and mix on low until the mixture is combined. Add in the chocolate chips.
- Dump mixture into your prepared baking pan and press down (with clean hands or a measuring cup) until mixture is quite compact. Refrigerate for about an hour and then cut into bars. You can make them as big or small as you want. I cut mine into 12 like the shape of traditional granola bars.
*Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker