These colorful Patriotic Brownie Pops are the perfect quick and easy treat to help celebrate the Labor Day holiday!
Do you have plans for Labor Day weekend?
We usually spend it with one of our families, enjoying good food, company and what’s often one of the last warm weekends of summer. We always have a lot of fun and go home with full bellies and a good tan, or burn if you happen to be my very pale, Irish husband. Sorry hun! Regardless of the sunburn or not, it’s always a good time to get together with family and enjoy the last holiday of summer.
With school in session, I know how busy many of you now are! That’s why I’m sharing this super simple, yet fun dessert for the holiday today!
I promise you these Patriotic Brownie Pops will be one of the best looking (and tasting) treats on the dessert table this weekend. No worries, I won’t tell anyone how super simple they were to make! Your secret is safe with me 🙂 Shhhh…
My short-cut with this recipe is using a store-bought brownie mix (shhh…). You can definitely make your own from scratch too, but if you’re short on time a store-bought mix will be your life saver.
If you can believe it, before I had Emily, I would have totally looked down on a boxed mix. I mean, it’s really easy to make brownies from scratch, but often this mama is just too tired to get out the bowls, measuring cups, spoons, etc. You parents know the level of tired I’m talking about, right? Since Emily was born, I’ve learned all about the wonder of store-bought mixes and I’m not ashamed to say I use them every now and then. They’re truly a savior, right?
Start off by making the brownie mix as stated on the box. Once baked and cooled, cut them into 9 squares, leaving them in the pan. At this point I further chill them in the refrigerator to help make them a little firmer. While they’re chilling, line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and place a cooling rack over it. This will make for easier clean up afterwards.
Once the brownies are chilled, melt the candy melts in separate bowls. Lay the brownies out on the cooling rack. Dip one of the sticks into a little of the now melted candy melts and stick into the brownie to make it look like a popsicle. The candy melt on the stick/straw will help it stay better.
Then drizzle the melted candy onto the brownies with a spoon or fork. Alternatively, you can put the melted candy in a piping or ziplock bag with a corner cut. This is my preferred method and what I did for these photos. I think it makes for a cleaner look, but if you’re short on time you can definitely just use a spoon or fork.
After all of your pops are decorated, refrigerate them until the chocolate has harden and then they’re ready to be served! I put the finished pops in cellophane bags tied with a patriotic ribbon to up the presentation factor a smidge 🙂
Aren’t these adorable? They’re so cute no one will even be thinking about how easy they might have been to make and they’ll most definitely be the star of your holiday get together.
- 1 (16-18 oz) brownie mix, prepared according to package instructions
- ½-3/4 cup each, white and red candy melts
- 9 sturdy straws or popsicle sticks
- sprinkles, optional
- cellophane bags and ribbon, optional
- Prepare brownies according to package instructions, baking in a 9x9 inch pan, lined with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- After baking, set aside to cool. Cut into 9 squares, keeping them in the pan and place entire pan in the refrigerator to harden slightly
- Melt the candy melts in separate bowls - takes about 1 minute for each color in the microwave, stopping at 30 seconds to stir.
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil on a large baking sheet. Place a cooking rack over the baking sheet.
- Remove brownies from the refrigerator and place them on the cooling rack.
- Put a little of the melted candy melts on one end of the popsicle stick or straw and place it in the brownie so it looks like a popsicle. Place back on the cooling rack
- With a spoon or piping bag, drizzle the melted candy melts over the brownies. You may not use all of the melted candy.
- Feel free to use whatever colors you'd like and even add extra decor like sprinkles
- One finished decorating, place in the refrigerator for the decorations to harden. If desired, place the finished pops in a cellophane bag and tie with a patriotic ribbon.