This One-Pan Veggies and Rice has become a quick family favorite and I’m sure it will become one for yours as well!
Even as a stay at home mom, dinner time can be hectic and chaotic time! Without keeping a watchful eye on Emily at all times, I never really know what she might get into! Luckily for me, this One Pan Veggies and Rice dinner is a breeze to make and allows me to keep an eye on her!
In order to make the recipe cut here at Made by Melissa Lee, it first and foremost must taste good! An added bonus is if the recipe can also mostly be made ahead of time. This is one of those recipes! All of the veggies can be cut and prepped ahead of time so when meal time comes around, you can throw everything in and just check back periodically to stir and add additional ingredients.
I like to do this meal prep the night before and store away in the refrigerator until ready to use. If you really want to be a meal prep superstar you can also combine the broth and water in a container (store in the refrigerator) and measure out the rice. When I worked full time outside the home, I would do things like this to help make dinnertime go smoother and get to the table quicker!
Oh and have I mentioned about the whole “one pan” thing? Everything goes into one pan, which makes me so happy when it comes time to clean up! Also, because it’s all in one pan it turns the rice into almost a risotto-type of dish, but without all of the continuous stirring. It’s really creamy and the 1 tablespoon of butter gives it a really rich taste!
Kevin went back for seconds on this one and even Emily, who doesn’t usually like her food combined in a dish like this, loved it. Total #MomWin! I know this dish will be made many more times in my kitchen and I can’t wait to try some different variations of it!
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 small container mushrooms, stemmed & sliced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup white rice, rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup peas (frozen is fine)
- In a large saucepan or stock pot, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Then add celery, carrots and mushrooms and cook another 2-3 minutes. Add in garlic, and cook for another minute.
- Stir in salt, rice, broth and water. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring at the half way point.
- After 15 minutes, stir in the peas, cover and cook another 5 minutes. Stir the mixture, replace lid and let mixture sit for 5 minutes. Serve.
*Recipe adapted from I Heart Naptime