These oatmeal raisin bars are a healthy on-the-go snack the whole family will enjoy!
I’m always looking for healthy snacks that travel well, whether they’re for my husband to take for work or Emily and I as we head to the zoo, park or story time.
This is the perfect one to grab and go and I’ve got several batches already stocked away in the freezer for all of the running around I know we’ll be doing this summer!
I love oatmeal. If you follow this blog regularly, this isn’t the first time you’ve heard that!
I have it almost everyday for breakfast and if I can fit another oatmeal-based snack into the rest of the day, I’m in heaven! This is the perfect snack for all of you oatmeal lovers out there! Even if you aren’t a fan of “regular” oatmeal, like Kevin, you will most likely love this one! Emily and I both gobble these up and Kevin loves having a new snack to take with him on the road.
The recipe is very similar to a baked oatmeal, like this one, but a little more cake-like with the removal of some oats and addition of whole wheat flour. I’m not a huge fan of raisins, but when they’re baked in this recipe, they really soften up and since the only sweetener is 3 tablespoons of agave nectar, they help give the bars a little additional sweetness.
To make the bars, it’s very simple. You just need to combine your dry ingredients (oats, flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda) in one bowl and your wet ingredients (milk, applesauce, egg, agave nectar and vanilla) in another. Then combine the wet and dry, stir in your raisins and it’s ready to bake! They’re so quick and easy to make, I don’t even have to wait until Emily’s napping to whip up a batch of these bars! How lovely is that?
If you’re constantly on the run like we are, and are looking for a healthy snack to take with you, this is just the recipe you need!
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbs. agave nectar*
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup raisins
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with cooking spray, set aside. You can also line the pan with aluminum foil before spraying for easier clean up if you want.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, applesauce, eggs, agave nectar and vanilla.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Once combined, stir in the raisins, reserving a few to sprinkle on top before baking.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish and sprinkle on reserved raisins.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until lightly golden on top.
- Remove from the oven to a cooling rack. Once cool, cut into 16 squares and enjoy!
*Adapted from Weelicious