This cozy comfort dish gets both lightened up and a time saving update by being made in the crock-pot.
I’ve always been a macaroni and cheese lover, but I mean, who doesn’t love this homey dish of noodles and creamy, ooey-gooey cheese?
For most of January and February, I was on the hunt for the perfect recipes to make for Emily’s first Birthday party. I didn’t want to serve anything that needed to be taken right out of the oven before the party started. I wanted to be able to put everything out at once and not be hovering over the stove while guests arrived. That is just the worst, right?
When I came upon this dish at Brown Eyed Baker, I knew it looked like just the perfect thing to serve! I usually serve my macaroni and cheese straight from the stove-top, or oven (like my super yummy baked butternut squash mac & cheese!), but I didn’t want to deal with that for a party. What better way to serve it than in the crockpot? I mean, the idea is genius, right?
You only have to cook the noodles on the stove-top, which is done hours before your party starts. Then you toss everything straight into the crock-pot and let it do all of the work. After two hours, you’re good to go! I changed the recipe around a little and lightened it up, because while I like to enjoy myself at a party, I also like to keep a check on my waistline! You won’t even miss those full fat ingredients one little bit.
This dish was such a hit and was gone super fast! I had no idea everyone would love it so much and since my husband came home from the grocery store with a 32 oz. block of Velveeta cheese (the recipe calls for only 8 oz…) we are going to enjoy this recipe a few times over. No complaints here from Emily or I! I hope you find room on your weekly meal plan in the upcoming weeks for this dish! You will definitely feel like a rock-star in the kitchen from all of the compliments and who doesn’t love that 🙂
- 12 oz. elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 can (12 ounces) 2% evaporated milk
- 1½ cups 2% milk
- 8 oz. 2% Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Lightly spray the insert to a large crock-pot with cooking spray. I used a 6 qt. crock-pot.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions and then drain.
- Add the noodles to the crock-pot and add the butter. Stir together until all the butter is melted.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients: evaporated milk, whole milk, Velveeta cheese, cheddar cheese and salt/pepper.
- Set the crock-pot to low for 2 hours. Try to resist taking off the lid during this time, but if you absolutely need to, wait until at least the one hour mark, give it a quick stir and then put the lid back on for the final hour.
- After two hours, it's done! Set the temperature to warm if serving for a party or eat right away. Left overs might need a little splash of milk to "revive" it before reheating in the microwave.
*Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
Other Macaroni and Cheese recipes you might enjoy: