With fresh tomatoes and cilantro and a little zing from some jalapeño and lime juice, this salsa is the perfect appetizer to welcome the unofficial start of summer!
This one of Kevin’s favorite recipes to make and he can easily polish off the entire recipe on his own! What can I say? The man loves chips and salsa!
It’s so fresh and summery, it’s the perfect appetizer for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend, which to many is the “unofficial” start to summer! We bring this salsa to almost every get together over the summer months and it’s always gone in no time and loved by all! While I might feel a little guilty for indulging in so many tortilla chips, I feel zero guilt for piling on this healthy and fresh salsa!
Now, it does take a little bit of time to make, but it’s well worth the effort. It’s not difficult by any means, there’s just some chopping to do. I happen to love chopping up veggies though and so does he! After everything is chopped all you have to do is toss it together in a bowl, take out your favorite brand of tortilla chips and it’s good to go! I can’t think of any other way to describe this salsa other than “fresh!” It reminds me that summer is on it’s way! Others must think the same thing because I don’t think we’ve ever taken any of this salsa back home with us. It’s usually devoured in no time at all.
I hope you give this recipe a try for one of your next get togethers, perhaps this weekend for Memorial Day? Your friends and family will thank you and I’m sure there will be many requests for the recipe!
- 4-5 tomatoes, about 2 lbs. diced (seeded if desired)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely diced
- ½ cup+ cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2-3 Tbs.)
- ½ tsp. salt
- Combine diced tomatoes, onion, jalapeño and cilantro together in a bowl. Juice the lime (watch for seeds), add the salt and stir to combine. **You may want to adjust the amount of salt and/or lime juice to your own preference. I usually start with abut a ¼ tsp. of salt and 1 Tbs. of lime juice and then add the rest as needed. Remember, you'll be serving this with chips, which will probably be heavily salted, so you might want to test it with a chip before adding too much salt to the salsa.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy! Note: This can be made a few hours before serving and refrigerated. It's best enjoyed the same day as it's made.