These super easy Italian Meatball Subs are a quick and easy meal to whip up when the weeknights get a little too hectic to spend much time in the kitchen!
Do you have children who have recently gone back to school after the long and enjoyable summer break? Are you in need of quick and easy meals to get dinner on the table? If so, then today is your lucky day because I have another winner for dinner to help you out! I know so many families need meals like this, so I’m posting another one of our favorite quick, easy and family friendly meals. Just like the Spinach and Ricotta Lasagna Rolls from the other week, there Italian Meatball Subs will be a total hit with everyone who tries them.
Turkey meatballs are a freezer favorite of our. They’re pre-cooked, so they don’t require much additional cook time, are lightened up by using turkey instead of beef and can be used in so many different ways. They are a total dinnertime life-saver and I keep them in the freezer at all times. What foods do you always keep stocked in your freezer?
These sandwiches are easy to make. Just heat spaghetti sauce on the stove and add your frozen turkey meatballs. Cook, covered for about 25 minutes, until everything is warmed through. Place the meatballs with extra sauce on each hot dog bun. Sprinkle on some cheese, place on a foil-lined cookie sheet and broil until the cheese is nice and melty.
Don’t leave the oven unattended at this part! I leave the oven door slightly ajar when broiling (due to the high temp) and food can go from fine to completely burnt in a matter of moments so it’s important to keep your eye on it at all times, especially with little ones running around! Once the cheese is melted, remove them from the oven, cool for a few minutes and serve! I like to serve them with something green, like a salad or broccoli. Kevin prefers his with chips, like you would at a sub shop. Whatever floats your boat!
See how easy that was? It’s the perfect dinner to make after a long, busy day when you don’t want to spend any time or effort making dinner. You know what, they’ll be such a hit, no one will even think twice about how easy they were to make!
For all of those parents out there needing a quick and easy meal you know the whole family will love, definitely give these a try. Everyone will be a member of the “clean plate club” when you serve these for dinner 🙂
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 24 pre-cooked turkey meatballs
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 8 whole wheat hot dog buns
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Line a jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce into a large saucepan set over medium heat, stir in the Italian seasoning. Add the frozen turkey meatballs and stir to coat.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly. Then reduce heat to low and cook for another 20 minutes, until meatballs and sauce are warmed through
- Place the sub buns on the prepared baking sheet. Add 3 meatballs to each hot dog bun. Top with additional sauce, if desired, and then about 1 tablespoon of cheese.
- Set oven to broil* and, place the baking sheet in oven. Cook for about 2 minutes. *Do not leave your oven and keep an eye on your subs. Using the broil setting can take food from uncooked to charred in a matter of minutes.
- Once the cheese has melted, remove from oven, cool for a minute or two and serve.