I was a little short on time the other day and almost didn’t make this to go with our black bean chili, but after I did I thought “wow, that was such a breeze!” It took almost no time to make, which is always a plus in my book. Plus you can freeze any left overs for the next time you make chili. Freezable foods = winner!
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 (4 oz can) diced green chilies
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8x8 dish or 9" pie dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt) in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients (milk, oil, egg and chilies) in a small bowl.
- Carefully pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold together to incorporate, without over mixing. Stop once there are no flour/cornmeal streaks left.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is turning light brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean