I hope you’re not on holiday food overload yet, because I have a new holiday breakfast recipe for you today! Eggnog oatmeal! I had some left over eggnog from some holiday baking and hated to see it go to waste, when a light bulb went off – eggnog oatmeal!! That would probably be pretty tasty I thought… and I was right!
Now I know I’ve talked before about how I prefer to keep my oatmeal on the healthy side and while eggnog is not the healthiest of ingredient additions, I keep it “light” by only using 1/2 cup. This little bit really gives the oatmeal the holiday flavor without adding too many calories. Plus I figure all the last minute running around to finish up Christmas shopping is burning quite a few calories, right??
- ½ cup eggnog
- ½ cup milk (I used unsweetened vanilla Almond milk)
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup quick oats
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- additional eggnog or milk, for serving (optional)
- additional nutmeg sprinkled on top (optional)
- Place a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat, add eggnog, milk and hot water. Bring to a slight simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the old fashioned oats. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add the quick oats and cook for another minute or two, stirring occasionally, until oatmeal has reached desired thickness. Add brown sugar and nutmeg, stir to combine.
- If desired, splash on a little bit of milk or eggnog and finish with a sprinkle of nutmeg if you want to be fancy!