Making shredded chicken in your crockpot to freeze for future meals is a great way to cut out time in your weeknight dinner prep!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts* (about 1.5 lbs)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Place chicken breasts in a large crock pot. I use a 6-quart one.
- Add chicken broth, water, salt and pepper. I then take a fork and gently stir the liquid and turn the chicken breasts over so the salt and pepper are distributed throughout.
- Set the temperature to high for five hours. Do not remove the lid.
- After five hours (chicken should reach internal temperature of 165 degrees) remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred or dice it. Put cooked chicken in freezer bags, label it and place the bags in the freezer (or refrigerator) for an upcoming meal.
- I use frozen foods within 3 months, which is why it's important to properly label your chicken and anything else you put in the freezer.
*Recipe adapted from Love Grows Wild
Here are a few recipes this chicken would be great for: