Do you have a busy morning schedule that has you rushing out the door with no time for breakfast? If so, this is the perfect recipe for you!
It happens to be one of my favorite weekday breakfasts. I love how I can make a large batch on Sunday night and then portion it into single size servings to have during the week. Since our mornings are usually rushed, I tend to eat breakfast at work and this is the perfect dish to take with me. I find the heartiness of steel cut oats keeps this oatmeal fresher, longer, than say oatmeal made with quick or old fashioned oats. In the morning I just splash on a little milk before leaving the house and then reheat it in the microwave at work for about a minute. The milk helps “revive” it after chilling and thickening in the fridge.
If you have a busy morning, like us, I suggest giving this recipe and see if it helps you get out the door quicker with a healthy breakfast still in tow!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbs. brown sugar
- Add water, milk and oats to a medium sized sauce pan and heat over medium-heat heat until mixture comes to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the pot and stir frequently
- Once the oats have reached your desired thickness, remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon and sugar.
- If not eating right away and using for breakfast during the week, portion into single size servings in glass tupperware containers