This Cinnamon Oatmeal with Quick Apple Compote has quickly become my favorite fall oatmeal and it might be your new favorite too!
I’ve been really into trying new oatmeal recipes lately. Even though this banana bread oatmeal is my go-to fave, I’ve been switching things up a little now that it’s fall. I’ve already posted two fall themed baked oatmeal recipes (apple spice and pumpkin spice), but sometimes I like to make something a little quicker on the stovetop.
This Cinnamon Oatmeal with Quick Apple Compote is now my new favorite! It starts with a simple cinnamon flavored oatmeal, but when you add warm apples, coated in additional cinnamon and brown sugar, it goes from good to great! Plus, not only are apples on sale at the store right now, everyone seems to have tons left over from their adventures apple picking!
While I love eating apples plain, sometimes you need a few recipes to use them up! Plus, who doesn’t love the smell of homemade apple goods wafting through your home?
This recipe is really easy to make, I mean, it’s oatmeal after all. I’m not reinventing the wheel or anything 🙂
It’s the quick and easy apple compote which is really the star of the show. All I do is take an apple, dice it, add some cinnamon and brown sugar and microwave it for a minute, stopping at the 30 second mark to give it a good stir. Does it get much easier?
I was thinking about doing the compote on the stovetop with butter, which just sounds fabulous, but then that little voice popped into my head and said “This is breakfast, keep it healthy!” So, I put the saucepan away and opted for a quicker and healthier microwave option. If you wanted to make this dish a little more decadent, a stovetop version would be great! If you give that a try, definitely let me know how it turns out! In the meantime, I’ll be eating this version on the regular right now.
Oh and did I mention, when my anti-oatmeal husband saw me making it, he actually asked for a bowl? Say what?!? He happily ate the whole serving, so I consider this recipe a winner all the way around!
If you’re looking for a new oatmeal recipe to try, one that perhaps uses some of those apples sitting on the counter, give this one a try! I bet it’ll be a new family favorite in no time 🙂
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk (I used Unsweetened Almond Milk)
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup quick oats
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 apple, cored and diced*
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Prepare oatmeal. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add milk and water. Once tiny bubbles start to form around the sides, add the old fashioned oats. Turn down heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, add the quick oats and 2 tsp. brown sugar. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until oatmeal has reached your desired consistency. Stir in 2 tsp. of cinnamon.
- While oatmeal finishes cooking, prepare the apple compote. Place diced apples, 1 tsp. brown sugar and ½ tsp. cinnamon in a microwavable dish and stir to combine. Microwave for 1 minute, stopping at 30 seconds to stir.
- Top finished oatmeal with apple compote and serve.