This Chocolate Almond Dessert Oatmeal made with chocolate almond milk, dark cocoa and sliced almonds makes the perfect healthy after dinner treat!
Once I get Emily to bed at night I usually have a little snack. The emphasis here is on “little.” Just something small to keep the hunger at bay for the rest of the night or something to enjoy while I cry my eyes out watching This is Us…
However, some days when Emily is especially hungry after naptime we eat dinner really early – like 4:00 early. Come 8:00 I need something more than “little” to keep those tiny hunger gremlins away! This is when I make Chocolate Almond Dessert Oatmeal!
Yes, you hear me right, I said “dessert oatmeal!” For someone like my husband, who doesn’t like oatmeal, this sounds nothing like dessert to him. However, I happen to love oatmeal and a comforting, belly-filling bowl of it just what I need some nights.
It’s rich and chocolatey, yet won’t do any damage to your waistline like so many other late night treats. Oh, did I mention it’s made in the microwave?
Before I give you this super easy recipe I just want to emphasize 2 points here:
- Make sure your bowl holds at least 5 cups! It really expands while cooking and if your bowl is too small it will bubble over and make a terrible mess. The bowl I use holds 5 cups and I’ve never had a problem.
- I use dark cocoa. Hershey’s makes a terrific version you can get at most grocery stores. The dark variety has a deeper and richer chocolate taste than regular cocoa, in my opinion. I’ve tried making it with regular cocoa and it’s just lacking a bit of the richness.
Ok, there you have it – I hope you all enjoy this tasty little treat like I have! If you make it and love it too, please share a comment below and let me know!
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp. dark cocoa powder
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup chocolate almond milk
- 1-2 tsp sliced almonds
- In a microwave-safe bowl (that holds at least 5 cups) add the oats and cocoa and stir to combine. Pour in the water and milk and stir again.
- Microwave for 3 minutes. Remove from microwave (*careful it will be hot!) and cool for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into two bowls, sprinkle with sliced almonds and serve!