These buttermilk whole wheat pancakes are so tender and fluffy, no one will assume they’re made with good-for-you whole wheat!
Is there anything better than homemade pancakes on a weekend morning! Or even for dinner during the week?
There’s really never a wrong time to have pancakes in my book! We usually have pancakes for dinner as I normally don’t like to fuss too much with breakfast as once I get up, I’m hungry! I often see the quote “I’m sorry for the words I spoke out of hunger” and sadly, it describes me to a “T” in the morning. Sorry Kevin…
I’ve tried so many pancake recipes over the years, but this is my new favorite!
I’ve been on the search to find my favorite pancake recipe for a while now, but for some reason or another they never turn out quite right. They’d be undercooked, not fluffy enough, chewy or just plain inedible.
The premise would start like this. “Hey hun, I’ve got a great new pancake recipe to try.” Proceed to Kevin sitting at our kitchen peninsula and me happily whipping up what was sure to be my new favorite pancake recipe. Ten minutes later and 10 pancakes not made to my liking, full on tears would start…. Not only did the pancakes not turn out right, but now I’ve wasted all those ingredients and I’m hungry with nothing made for dinner!
Kevin would be the good sport he always is and take over pancake flipping duty and nibble on a few commenting they “weren’t that bad.” He’d kindly eat them for our meal, while I made something else for myself and regretted the decision to make the pancakes at all. This scene played out several times before I found this recipe.
This recipe always turns out great each time I make it. Plus it’s made with half whole wheat flour! I sometimes feel a little guilty after eating something with the word “cake” in it for my actual meal, but I feel a little less so considering I’m adding some whole wheat to my diet with this meal 🙂 Diet food, no… but maybe just slightly better for you than the usual pancake recipe.
Whenever I tell Kevin we’re having pancakes, he always asks me what kind I’m making. I think he’s through with my pancake-making escapades and just wants the good ones, without the hunger meltdown… which is understandable 🙂
I stick to this recipe nowadays and consider my “perfect whole wheat pancake” recipe search complete!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled*
- Pre-heat your griddle to 350 degrees and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, eggs and buttermilk. Slowly whisk in the melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined. Be careful to not over mix. Lumps are ok!
- Pour the batter, about ¼ cup for each pancake, onto the pre-heated skillet. Cook until bubbles start to form and bottoms brown, about 2 minutes and then flip over and cook other side, about another 2 minutes. Remove to a plate and enjoy with syrup!
*Recipe adapted from Oh Sweet Basil