These crispy buckeye cereal bars combine my love of chocolate and peanut butter and are quickly becoming a family favorite! Did I mention they only have four ingredients?
Like most moms, I’m always looking for recipes that are quick and easy to make. I’m sure if you look at 80% of my posts, the words “quick” and “easy” are used. With Emily running around now and moving from two naps a day down to one, I don’t have as much time to spend in the kitchen anymore. Leave her alone for just a few minutes and I’m sure to find her playing in the dogs water dish, climbing on top of her toy box or getting into some other sort of mischief. If you’re a mom, you know what I mean!
When I saw a version of these in the Weelicious cookbook, they looked like the perfect sweet treat that could not only could be whipped up in minutes, but I knew the whole family would love. I mean, who’s not into chocolate + peanut butter? Add in a little extra sweetness with some agave nectar and crunch from rice cereal and you’ve got a treat sure to put a smile on anyone’s face!
They’re sooo easy to make too! All you have to do is melt together the cocoa powder, peanut butter agave nectar and then pour over the rice cereal. Once all of the cereal has been coated with the chocolate peanut butter mixture, you pour it into an 8×8 inch dish and you’re done! I like to press the mixture down really well to help everything stick together. Unlike rice krispie treats, which use marshmallows as a binder, these only have the peanut butter and agave nectar so they need a little extra help sticking together. Storing them in the refrigerator also helps!
The next time you’re looking for a quick treat to satisfy your sweet tooth, why not give these a try! They’ll satisfy your sweets craving in no time at all!
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup peanut butter
- ⅔ cup agave nectar
- 3½ cups crisped rice cereal (Like Rice Krispies)
- Line an 8x8 inch pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour the rice cereal into a large mixing bowl and then set aside.
- Combine the cocoa powder, peanut butter and agave nectar in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted together.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal and stir until combined. Once all of the cereal is coated, pour it into your prepared pan. Press the mixture down with the back of a spatula or measuring cup until it's well compacted.
- Refrigerate for about 30-60 minutes. Cut into squares and enjoy!
*Recipe adapted from Weelicious