Hello! I’m glad you stopped by, because today I’m sharing an oldie, but goodie with everyone – Berries and Creme Trifle!
I first made this recipe back in college, when I had to do a “how to” speech in my communications class. Does everyone remember that one? It seems like most people have to go through this dreaded right of passage, right? Like so many, I tend to be a nervous public speaker. I figured if I was at least doing something I loved, like making dessert, I’d be able to make it through the speech in one-piece. I was right! Not only did I make it through with flying colors, but everyone loved this trifle I made. There’s nothing like free food to help with peer reviews!
I’ve never met someone who didn’t like this dessert, honestly! I mean, what’s there not to love about layers of sweet angel food cake, creamy vanilla pudding and juicy strawberries? My mouth is starting to water just thinking about it! Not to mention, it’s a breeze to whip up! This is the perfect dessert to bring to all of those summer potlucks when you want to enjoy the summer weather and not spend all day in the kitchen! Trust me, no one will ever suspect how easy it was to make. I hope you enjoy this longtime favorite of mine and give it a try!
- 1 Angel food cake cut into 1" cubes
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk (can be fat free)
- 1½ cups water
- 1 small packet instant vanilla pudding packet (can be sugar free)
- 1 (8 oz.) container of cool whip (can be regular, lite or fat free)
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- Whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and water. Add in pudding mix and stir for 1-2 minutes, until combined and slightly thickened. Fold in the whipped topping. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to thicken.
- In a large trifle bowl, layer ½ of the angel food cake cubes. Then pour over ½ of your pudding mixture, followed by ½ of the strawberries and blueberries. Repeat this process one more times and voila! your easy-peasy summer dessert is complete!
- Optional presentation method: Prepare trifle in mini-form by using small drinking glasses, wine glasses or even martini glasses!